McIntire Studios Policies
- Students are to bring water bottles, lesson books and a 3-ring binder to their lessons.
- A SmartMusic subscription is highly encouraged.
- All students are expected to practice daily and to log their efforts.
- Logging for older students means to write down when and how long you practice, and what you worked on. This is where you write down what problems you are having as well as any questions that may come up during your private practice. I check these at your lesson.
- Students 5th grade and under are to write down the time spent practicing daily.
Studio Classes and Recitals
- Studio voice classes meet once per month. They are open to students only. These (required) group classes are included in your tuition, and are announced throughout the semester.
- Studio recitals occur in May and December, with an occasional solo or summer recital. Participation in recitals is strongly encouraged. There is a recital fee, which goes to pay rent on the venue space and to pay the accompanist. Recital fees are due the week before the recital.
- Lessons will not be taught during
- Easter Week (Tuesday before Maundy Thursday - Easter Monday)
- Spring Break (week of March 17)
- Memorial Day weekend
- Labor Day weekend
- Thanksgiving Break (Wednesday - Sunday)
- Winter Break (three weeks off)
- Summer Lessons are available and encouraged.
- Lessons will not be taught during
- July 4 week
- 3 weeks off TBA
- Individual (Grade 6 through adult)
- Young Child (K - 5th)
- Piano (Traditional, ages 4 – adult)
- Aural Skills and Musicianship
- Electronic and electro-acoustic
- Music Business
- If you know you are going to be late (traffic etc.), please call.
- If you are up to 15 minutes late for your lesson, your lesson will end at the scheduled time.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late, your lesson is forfeit.
- If I am late for your lesson, you will get your entire time.
- If I a more than 15 minutes late for your lesson, I will credit you with the remainder.
- Please be on time or no more than 5 minutes early for your lesson.
- 24 hours notice is required to cancel a lesson, or lesson fee is charged.
- There will be no make-up lessons for last-minute cancellations made by students.
- Teacher cancellations will be made up.
- Please make note of the previously mentioned holidays so you can plan around them.
IF KCMO schools are closed, so are we. However, if you wish to brave the weather and come to your lesson, I’m certainly going to be here. Please call me FIRST to confirm. I’ll always make up a lesson missed because of bad weather. This policy is in effect with KCMO school closings.
Please cancel your lesson if you have a fever, a sore throat, or are vomiting. Also, do not sing if you have a sore throat (or strep throat). If you are simply stuffy, you may sing. If you are in doubt as to whether you should cancel, call me and ask. Most head colds won’t interfere with your singing or your lesson.
If you wish to end your lessons, either to transfer to another studio or to stop altogether, I ask that you let me know as soon as possible so I can begin auditions to fill your spot. MuBus requires 30 days notice if you decide to discontinue lessons.
- Please enter the studio at your lesson time. If the door is locked, please come to the front door. If it is raining/snowing, I often open the garage door for you to come in that way, as it is covered.
- Please park in front of the studio in the street, not the driveway. No one requiring supervision/babysitting may attend lessons. Parents/friends are invited and encouraged to attend lessons, provided they understand that they are observing, not participating. Parents of piano students 5th grade and younger are required to attend each lesson.
- We have cats! Please let us know if you are allergic or afraid of cats, and we will close them in another room. Otherwise, expect to occasionally be joined on the piano bench by an extra, feline, 'teacher'!
If you refer a student to me and they are accepted into my studio, you will receive a free lesson after they have completed a month of study. Please understand that your referral does not mean that they are automatically in the studio—they will have to audition (interview) just like you did.